Friday, February 14, 2014

Without Even Trying


This is the blog post of a child who is learning to love life in all its beauty. A quiet child who rarely shares his internal world, but who nevertheless makes observations and learns and loves.



We rode through the woods. Me, my mom, and Matt. I remember me ALWAYS being in the middle. Mom was always in the back, and Matt was in the front. We rode through flowers, wildlife, and trees. EVERYTHING WAS GREEN!


I remember a bridge that had fallen in the late 1800s. They left a memorial that we passed. I also remember us riding by the river going over hills under the trees. I was hoping it would never end! but about halfway home on our trip back, my legs fell apart. So we stopped and sat at benches and talked about camping.


Mom said we would be taking bike rides alot more often because we need the excersise. After this im going to ask if we can again tonight as fathers day bike ride. But if she says no, i will get on again and either blog or FFR (flashflashrevolution). I will never forget that bike ride. It was my first in this (my favorite now) path.

Sometimes, we present spiritual practices as a very adult thing, a thing only mature faith engages. "Only those who are seriously dedicated to profound spiritual growth need apply."
We talk about contemplative walking and looking for what shimmers in the landscape that we might hear from God. We talk about striving to reach the post-skeptic, mature naiveté.

 And then, sometimes we think that the way in which we share our experience must be a thing of perfection, no tinges of poor grammar or misspellings, no ambiguity and yet intriguing.  And so, frequently, we fail to offer anything at all, because what we produce feels too raw or unpolished. Frustrated, we set aside "purposeful" evangelism and simply to clear our minds, we  take a bike ride with our children.
 ...and do our greatest holy work without even knowing it!

No comments:

Post a Comment